Yesterday, 25-year-old Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev won the US Open Tennis Championship – the US Open. He beat the 34-year-old famous Serbian athlete Novak Djokovic in the final, beating him in three sets with the same score 6: 4, 6: 4, 6: 4.
For Medvedev, this victory in a series of Grand Slam tournaments was the first. Until yesterday, he was already twice close to triumph in the Major: in 2019 he lost to the Spaniard Rafael Nadal in the US Open final, and in February of this year at the Australian Open 2021, where he met with Djokovic, the Serb was stronger. Before Medvedev, only two Russian tennis players became the winners of the Grand Slam tournaments – Marat Safin and Evgeny Kafelnikov.
After his triumph, Daniil Medvedev called Novak Djokovic, the world's number one, “the greatest tennis player of all time.” The Serbian athlete, unable to control his emotions, broke his racket, for which he was fined five thousand dollars, and cried.
Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev
In honor of the resounding victory, we have collected interesting facts about the winner of the US Open 2021 Daniil Medvedev and share them with you.
1. Daniil Medvedev was fond of sports since childhood, but he did not immediately choose tennis. At first he went in for swimming, played chess, and only at the age of nine he came to tennis. Daniel's mother accidentally saw the announcement of the recruitment for the section, who invited her son to try his hand at this sport.
2. Daniel spent a lot of time studying, which was easy for him. He studied at the Physics and Mathematics Lyceum “Second School”, and graduated from the 10th and 11th grades as an external student. After school, he entered the Faculty of Applied Economics and Commerce at MGIMO, as well as at the Russian State University of Physical Culture and the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics at the correspondence department. But after a year of studying at MGIMO, he took the documents from there and moved with his family to France to train at the Elite Tennis Center in Cannes and focus on his sports career. Nevertheless, he still received a higher education, having studied at two other universities.
3. Arriving in France, where Daniel's older sister Elena was already living, the athlete began to train with local coach Gilles Sarvara and soon won the first titles of the “futures” series (one in singles and two in doubles).
4. Daniil Medvedev speaks fluently in three languages: Russian, English and French.
5. Daniel won his first ATP title in 2018. In Sydney, he beat Alex de Minora in the final. A few months later, he won the Winston-Salem tournament, beating American Steve Johnson in the final. He received his third gold in the same year, having won the ATP 500 series tournament in Tokyo.
6. In 2018, at the age of 22, Daniil Medvedev married his beloved Daria, whom they had known for many years. The couple legalized their relationship at the Kutuzovsky registry office in Moscow. The couple's wedding was modest and took place in the circle of relatives and friends. Medvedev does not like to advertise his personal life.
Daria also played tennis in her childhood (due to an injury, she was forced to end her sports career at the age of 18), so she perfectly understands her husband.
Dasha knows that we cannot go shopping before the game, that I can be busy from eight in the morning until the evening. It’s not easy to get used to it when you don’t understand anything about tennis, so I’m glad that Dasha went through it herself,
– said Medvedev.
The couple has no children.
7. American magazine Forbes in August this year included Daniil Medvedev in the ranking of the highest paid tennis players in the world. With a total income of $ 13.9 million last year, the Russian athlete took seventh place.
8. In addition to tennis, Daniil is fond of football and sometimes he himself does not mind playing the ball. True, because of the likelihood of getting injured, he does this infrequently. And in the final against Djokovic, he even used a trick from the FIFA game on a console – he fell on the court, pretending to be dead (the trick is called dead fish).
I love playing soccer simulator on my console. This is from there, the celebration is called “Dead Fish”. You score a goal, you lead 5: 0, you do it like this. I wanted to celebrate so that people and my friends would like it. What did I do after the match? L2 + left,
9. Daniil Medvedev is a very emotional person, which is why he often gets into scandals. In 2016, he was disqualified in a Challenger match against black tennis player Donald Young. After the judge's decision, which seemed unfair to Medvedev, he told her that he and his opponent were probably friends (the judge was also black).
10. Daniil Medvedev often turns to the help of a psychologist. Knowing that he has a difficult character, the athlete works with a specialist and does not hide it.
I seem to myself and those around me to be very simple, light, calm outside the court. But in fact, my inner world is very difficult and difficult. I would say incomprehensible even for me. I will not say that I am depressed all the time. But it is precisely my inner world that is peculiar,
– he noted.
11. The athlete's favorite film is Catch Me If You Can, and his favorite actors are Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.
12. Daniil Medvedev loves cars and fast driving. Last year, he was even taken away from him for speeding in Monaco and was fined a large sum.
13. The tennis player admits that he tries to monitor the diet. He does not follow a special diet, but he does not eat junk food like fries and tries not to eat sweets.
14. Daniil Medvedev does not exclude the possibility that after the end of his tennis career, he will return to Russia. However, until he decided what he would do after leaving tennis. And this is not surprising – there are, hopefully, many more tournaments and victories ahead of him.
Daniil Medvedev and Ivan Urgant
15. Now Daniil Medvedev ranks second in the APR rating.