The 36-year-old founder of the Telegram messenger, Pavel Durov, basically does not give interviews, but sometimes he himself tells something about himself in the vastness of the network. So, yesterday the co-founder of the social network “VKontakte” unexpectedly decided to communicate with the users of the messenger in the comments under his new post. There Durov revealed several unexpected facts about himself.
So, Pavel admitted that he likes to drink tea with sage, plays on the PlayStation more often than on the Xbox, and does not watch YouTube, because he equates it with television. In addition, the founder of the Telegram messenger said that he had not watched the film of the Russian director Oleg Trofim “Major Thunder: The Plague Doctor”, with one of the main characters of which – Sergei Razumovsky – he is compared on the network. In his responses to the users of the messenger, Pavel also admitted that he can call himself “a fully happy person.”
Earlier, the founder of Telegram and VKontakte has already shared with network users that he leads a rather ascetic lifestyle, opposes unreasonable consumption and is content with little. Durov advised not to drink alcohol, sleep a lot, not overeat, exercise and not eat red meat. Pavel assures that it is these rules that help him look good and feel great. The billionaire also admitted that money alone never made him truly happy.
I was fortunate enough to become independent at the very beginning of my life. By the age of 22, there was a million dollars in my bank account, by the age of 25 – tens of millions, and by the age of 28 – already hundreds. However, this was not what made me happy. My luck was that I realized quite early on that the most rewarding activity is creating these things, not consuming them. So instead of buying yachts, airplanes and expensive real estate, I invested in what I liked the most: creating social platforms that hopefully benefit humanity.
– shared Durov.
Pavel Durov's sudden communication with the messenger users is connected with the next round of history around the “Smart Vote” by opposition leader Alexei Navalny. Yesterday in his telegram channel Pavel Durov launched a poll on blocking the Smart Voting bot. Durov asked the users of the messenger which is better: completely stop Telegram in Russia or suspend the work of campaign bots for two days of voting. At the time of this writing, 76% of users voted to suspend, while the remaining 24% voted to stop working altogether.
Under the poll, Durov responded to about 90 comments from various users. Pavel clarified that he decided to temporarily block the Smart Voting bot only after removing Navalny's similar application from the App Store and Google Play. According to Durov, before that, the messenger team had not even considered the possibility of suspending the bot.
In the comments under the new poll, Pavel also clarified that Telegram can now be blocked in Russia with the support of Apple and Google.
It's not so much about Roskomnadzor as about Apple and Google. If Apple and Google come to us tomorrow with a demand to bring the Telegram application in line with local laws, then there will be no options for opposition,
– said the founder of Telegram.
Durov still adheres to his policy: if he has to choose between blocking a messenger in Russia and giving the authorities access to correspondence not from a secret chat, he will still choose blocking. Pavel also said that he and his team should prepare for the possible exclusion of Telegram from the Russian App Store in the future, but did not disclose the exact strategy for this preparation.
When I was 18, I read Sun Tzu's The Art of War. It said that you should never reveal your strategy,
– explained Durov.
As a reminder, on September 17, on the first day of the State Duma elections, the Navalny application with the Smart Voting function was removed from the Russian Google and Apple stores. Roskomnadzor has demanded this since mid-August under the threat of fines in case of disobedience. According to reports from The New York Times and Bloomberg, Google decided to remove the application under threat of criminal prosecution of its employees. On the night of September 18, the Smart Voting bot suspended its work in Telegram. Durov explained this by the fact that a change in Apple and Google Play policies will inevitably affect the work of Telegram. According to the founder of the messenger, these two major mobile operating systems are at the top of the “food web” and influence application developers.